Water-based mold release agents are widely used in the manufacturing sector to achieve a surface finish, release control, and prevent oxidation. Water-based releases are safer than solvent-based releases because they contain no VOCs. You won’t have to wear respirators when handling them, and you can reduce the risks of leaks and hazardous chemical spills with water-based mold releases.
That said, we’d still like to outline some safety precautions and handling instructions for our water-based mold release agents.
Precautionary Measures to Take When Handling Water-Based Mold Releases
Here are some essential safety precautions to keep in mind when using water-based mold releases:
- Always wear gloves and eye protection when handling water-based mold releases.
- Work in a well-ventilated area, even though they contain no VOCs.
- Do not eat or drink near where you are using water-based mold releases.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after handling water-based mold releases.
- If water-based mold release comes into contact with your skin, wash the area immediately with soap and water.
- If water-based mold release gets into your eyes, flush them immediately with water for at least 15 minutes and seek medical attention.
If you follow these safety precautions, you can help ensure that you use water-based mold releases properly.
Additional Safety Tips for Storing Water-Based Mold Releases
Storing water-based mold releases is easier than solvent-based ones. But there are still things you should keep in mind.
- Store water-based mold releases in a cool, dry place.
- Keep water-based mold releases out of reach of children and pets.
- Dispose of water-based mold releases properly according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Always follow the instructions on the label. Different formulations may require different storage requirements.
- Have all staff read MSDS sheets and regulatory warning labels on the containers.
- Should any spills occur, ensure you contain and clean up the affected area immediately using appropriate spill response equipment. While flammability is non-existent, there is a slip-and-fall hazard.
Safe Use of Water-Based Mold Releases
Generally, it is best to spray the mold release in a controlled manner to minimize waste and ensure accurate application. Make sure you don’t apply the water-based mold release to a surface that’s too hot. After use, safely dispose of the mold release according to the manufacturer’s or regulatory body’s guidelines.
Benefits of Using Water-Based Mold Releases
Water-based mold releases offer a number of benefits over traditional solvent-based releases, including the safety aspects.
- Less harmful to the environment
- Less harmful to workers
- Easier to clean up
- Do not emit VOCs
- Are non-flammable
World-Class Water-Based Mold Release Agents
EZ-Kote has more than 30 years of experience with water-based mold releases. Talk to our team about the right formula for your requirements based on your industrial process.